Tuesday, February 9, 2021

On the Three Sisters

I stop to take a picture of the first
snowdrops I see in the grass as I walk.
On thinking back this week, I couldn't remember what took up my Saturday morning, until I remembered it was a Directors Meeting.

We met over Rebecca's Zoom account and when the meeting was over she said as she does to all of her students after she teaches a class, “Goodbye. I hope you enjoy the next part of your day. I'll be staying here for half an hour for anyone who's like to stay and ask questions or who has anything that they would like to talk over with me. You're all welcome to stay and listen or go. Goodbye.”

Now sometimes members of the class hangout to ask a question about an individual projects or to ask a question about what they didn’t understand in class.

I stay there, because I like listening in. Most leave quickly, off to another class.

I crouch low with my camera but the wind
is blowing and I can't keep anything in focus.
This wasn't true in today's meeting.

Nobody wanted to be the first to leave so we chatted about our seemingly disconnected and separate lives.

Glen told us that his garden is being devoted to the three sisters this year, a statement which made Rebecca laugh. She knew his allusion to the Kimmerer’s, Braiding Sweetgrass.

Glen will be planting the three sisters by planting corn, beans and squash.

Apparently, the corn grows first and the beans follow trailing up the corn stalk so there is no need to stake them. 

The squash leaves on the ground protect the beans and corn.

Idly, the three sisters chatted, figuring out who we were: Arta, corn; Wyona, beans; Moiya, the squash. I am going to watch how his garden grows.

By now I have twisted my camera
and am snapping wildly, even against
the horizon which no longer matters to me
.
I just want a good picture.
During the past month or so, Wyona has been doing so beautiful paintings which she showed us after the meeting.

Moiya took her computer downstairs and showed us the sewing she's been doing: she's finished a child's quilt called The Monkey Quilt because it has that sock monkey with the red face in the middle and is surrounded by small pieces of fabrics that have been cut in pieces and resewn, $100 worth of fabric she said that's just to start with.

I wondered which grandchild is going to have that quilt.

She said all of them for it will be at her house and anyone to can throw it over them when they need a little bit of warmth while sitting by her basement stove.

She has other quilting projects that are keeping her up until 2 a.m. She doesn't watch TV while she sews.

Too much to concentrate on.

I am not sure I have a hobby.

I spend 45 minutes a day playing Azul: Summer Pavilion when Rebecca wants a break, from back-to-back meetings 8 am to 6 pm.

There's not much I can say about the game, except that I am learning to use some of Duncan’s techniques to collect more points.

I forget I am supposed to be using a cane
and I leave it out in the meadow
while I go elsewhere to take my pictures
.
This doesn’t help when both parties know the same strategies, I noticed last night I was a bit tired and missing some of the better choices on the board.

Rebecca stopped the game to help me.

I only won the game because she has given herself over to playing my board instead of hers at that moment.

When I pointed this out to her, she laughed and said yes if she wins the game she wins and if she helps me win, then she still wins.

Arta

2 comments:

  1. Yes. That was fun to show each other around our respective houses. And it was also fun to get on the phone a couple of days ago, and by the miracle of linking one phone to another, we spent 3 hours talking to each other. We could have played a lot of bridge in that time if we could have found a fourth.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.