Sunday, February 14, 2021

Don’t resist what is …

I zoomed into the Jarvis household today for Valentine's Day.

The heart-felt present to the family was a machine that puts carbonation into water.

A soda streamer of sorts.

This is Catherine’s resistance against people having developed a taste for Perrier water, 3 times a day or so. Catherine had all the flavours, a capful for every liter: apple, peach, peach mango, lemonade, even a flavour called Kool-Aid.

I remember using a machine like this in the 80s at our house. There are all kinds of ways to make water taste just a little bit better.

Ice is one way.

And injecting bubbles into the water is another.

Hebe had spent the morning giving her doll a beautiful new hairdo for church.

Hebe and I talked about the braids on the doll a bit and she showed me the shoes of the doll, which if she taps on the table, lash like those really cool runners.

There's lots of sociability before the our meeting begins, all of us catching up on what's been new in the week.

Eric said is in training to be the editor of a new journal.

That's taking him some time, and effort in a new direction.

George had some reading to do 60 pages in German and then some writing to do. 

Catherine was in the meeting working on the more mundane tasks of the work: folding her wash as she listened in on church.  I think it is OK to bring your washing to church.

We talked a bit about the concept of kindness.  Whenever we do, I am reminded of Lorraine Wright's article, The Kindness of Strangers.  The four- or five-word idea that I take away from that article every time I read it is the phrase 'don't resist what is'. I call that a kindness to self.  If anyone has three or four minutes, and likes to read articles with a personal voice, this one is well worth the read.

Such a loving voice, like having a nice visit with Lorraine Wright. at the end of the meeting.

People seem to be munching on something that looked delicious.

Finally, Kathy Jarvis and I asked what it was.

In a huge bowl on the island were french fries. Now that's a Valentine's Day I would have liked.

I took my hair down to show my braids to Hebe as I was leaving the meeting. I keep them pinned back behind my head because I'm too vain too vain to have people see the hairstyle that I have to use. I still can't reach to the back of my head; I have to do these braids everyday. When I look at myself, I can only think of the words Pippi Longstockings.

Arta

4 comments:

  1. now we just need a piece of wire to hold the braids up?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just keep remembering that function comes beefore form.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so love the braids. It is your style from now on Arta. I so wish I could grow my hair long and have braids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't like the look of the braids. But here is something about them that is perfect. My hair does not get in my eyes. I can lean over and plant seeds or pick up rocks or pull out weeds and never have to contend with hair covering my eyes -- only wisps of it flash by in a strong wind. Not bad.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.