Monday, February 15, 2021

Evening Entertainment

Audra McDonald, as Billie Holiday in
Lady Day at Emerson’s Bar and Grill
 Photograph: Tristram Kenton/The Guardian

I am drawn to the big screen in this house every night. 

While I sat waiting for everyone else who wanted to watch it to come to the room, I was s filled with gratitude for all the past performances I have watched over the years, mostly watching the big screen at my local theatre.  

A few nights ago I watch Lady Day at Emereson's Bar and Grill with Audra MacDonald. 

When I came upstairs from watching, Rebecca took me to youtube to show me Billie Holiday singing Strange Fruit and Rebecca gave me some background. A review of the musical is written by Michael Billington in The Guardian.<br/>
Brinkhoff & Mogenburg

Tonight Rebecca and I watched the first part of Angels in America, the version that has just been upload into National Theatre.  

She turned the TV off after Par I, saying that she really saw the play alone as I let my eyelids close a number of times.  

That is wholly a function of it being evening and I have a warm blanket around me and have just eaten some delicious Indian food.

I've watched  the Angels in America movie many times. I am sure this will be true of Angels in America, National Theatre style.  Marilyn Stasic, the reviewer of the Variety article says that Kushner allows Prior, with his dying breath, to articulate the scribe’s message of hope "Maybe I am a prophet. Not me, alone, all of us, the ones who’re dying now. Maybe the virus is the prophecy?

I know I will be going back to watch this a number of times in the coming month.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.