Wednesday, February 10, 2021

More on the Film Festival

Image Courtesy of Les Films du Tambour
One of the things that makes a festival fun is being in a group with other people who are going, even if that group is just one more person. 

As in the case of living here, we invite each of the three other men, but they have more interesting things to do.

Rebecca said let's watch the Palestinian movie, and so we did: Gaza Mon Amour (Tarzan and Arab Nasser, 2020). There were lots of uncomfortable moments, the uncomfortable moments that make human beings laugh at themselves.

The movie was going along so charmingly, I was afraid it would take a turn and that all my hopes for a happy ending would be dashed. This idea really comes to me when I see tropes of chain links fences, are shadows of lines cast on the floor by venetian blinds. I turned to Rebecca and said, “That’s it, there are too many signs that things are going to go wrong.

I guess it's all in people's perception about how things go wrong. I loved the ending of the movie. As the credits rolled by, I heard an opera song which I couldn't identify. Rebecca was quick with it. “Mimi’s Song from La Boehme.“

I told her that answer was in the back of my mind and that I was just bringing it forward. She said, “It is easy for me, I have an app and when I turn it on it it identifies the music and even which version I'm listening to. I got that with just one click of the thumb.”

Well, that takes a little bit of the unknown out of life. 

No mystery about what I am hearing anymore.

I'm going to recommend Gaza Mon Amour with more than a thumbs up, maybe 5 stars (that is because this was a good chance to visit the Gaza strip). Watching it in my group of two was really fun. 

Here is a review from the Hollywood Reporter.

Arta  

2 comments:

  1. I hope we can watch a couple of films today. We are getting behind. But what can we do. Nobody stopped working around here until 9 pm and that is REALLY to late for me to start a show. Last night we did a game and popcorn. I think the popcorn was to compensate for not seeing a show. I ate it in the regular way, some dropping to the floor.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.