Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Extra Vanilla

David Camps Johnson and I made a single batch of Rice Krispie squares.

The recipe was courtesy of the web, one David found online.

He also counted out the 40 marshmallow from the package.  The marshmallows were from the summer.  They were hard to separate.  David went to wash his hands a number of times.  He didn't loose count of the marshmallows though I called out extra number to distract him.

I thought the recipe would call for one whole package but no, they had to be counted out with about 1/4 of the package left.  That was a surprise to me.  In the meantime I stirred the 1/4 cup of margarine and then called for the marshmallows.  I stirred like crazy.  I know that part of the recipe.  David wanted to measure the vanilla over the pan which was OK with me.  The mixture got an extra slosh since the vanilla came out faster than David had anticipated. "Oh throw in what is in the teaspoon as well, David," I said.  "Too hard to get that back in the bottle."

David was surprised that once the mixture was in the taken from the pan and gentle put in the greased casserole dish, we didn't need to cook it any further.  I told him that the fact was we could eat it while it was still warm.  But first I wanted to show him that you can take about 1/2 cup of the mixture in your hands and shape it into a bird's nest into which Easter eggs can go.  

That being done, we cut into our finished product, both of us going back for large seconds.  When eaten warm and pieces are pulled off of the product, long strings of melted marshmallow loop between the pieces.

Very fresh.

When Bonnie tasted the squares she asked me as an aside if the mixture was a bit off for some reason.  I couldn't figure out what she could be tasting until I remembered our vanilla la la palazzo.

David and I have 2 more bags of marshmallows and one super large package of Rice Krispies to use up.  Bonnie says if we had put any more pure vanilla in the mix there would have to be an alcohol warning.

Arta

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.