Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Za 'atar Bread


I didn't think to take a picture until
I had finished the first 3 slices.
Since Mary thanked me for teaching her how to make bread when she was younger, I have been thinking about bread making – mostly because anyone I have taught to make bread takes off with the idea at a speed I can't match.

I discover them making beautiful variations of the basic loaf of bread that I taught them.

Amir now does Challah and sour dough loaves, neither of which I have mastered.

Several times I have seen Pouria make bread from the Mediterranean, a bread called Za ‘atar bread.

I have tasted it on occasion, along with olives and some super concentrated yogurt – maybe it could be called yogurt cheese.

... perfect browning on the bottom ...
I found a basic recipe for the bread in a new recipe book I bought called Olives, Lemons and Za’ atar: The Best Middle Eastern Home Cooking.

Not having a coach in the kitchen I read the recipe carefully, trying to change millilitres into cups by using my computer and following each step of the recipe with care.

 The first problem I ran into was finding sugar.

Who can’t find sugar in their own kitchen?

I gave up for I know that the yeast will work on its own, just a little more slowly.

... close up after a few bites ...
I made notes all over the recipe so that the next time I try it, I will have exact measurements.

I had to add 1 ½ cups of flour to get to a soft dough, one that I could at least handle.

I had no idea that the product I was making would find a successful finish.

But when I pulled it out of the oven? 

Yowza!

... Arabic bread, yum ...
Then I was afraid someone might come to visit me and I would have to share.

Fantastic.

That doesn’t mean that mine tastes anything like Pouria’s.

And that reminds me, I have to go put sugar on my list of groceries to buy.

Arta

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.