Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Christmas Dinner on 26th Avenue

Turkey Perfection, Chriatmas 2019
There has never been a Christmas dinner that didn’t seem like it was just one notch better than the one previous.

When I think about the decades of Christmas dinners I have had, I always think that the last one was the best.

Joan Turnbull does most of the Christmas dinner preparation in her own kitchen and then travels across the city and feeds 15 of us in the evening.

Richard carves the turkey.
Kelvin gets the neck.
Or maybe that was 17 of us.

This resembles going out to dinner for me, or at least ordering in.

The turkey had a golden colour never to be forgotten.

Joan stood at the stove and worked the drippings over until they became the most delicious gravy.

Joan makes the gravy.
Miranda welcomes all into her kitchen.
I had to tell her that I have dishes of all sizes, shapes and colours, but I couldn’t supply a gravy boat. 

Embarrassing, a bit, but I always use my 4-cup pyrex dry-ingredient measuring cup as a gravy container.

And I have two of them, because 1 litre of gravy is never enough.

Each Christmas, I  decided that in the new year, I go to the store; I will go shopping for a gravy boat that will be the right size to hold gravy for 17 people.

And then I forget about that shopping trip and pull out my measuring cup again when Christmas rolls around again.

Arta


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.