Sunday, December 8, 2019

Not “if” but “when”

... two people who love their access to the Internet ...
Keeping up with the latest technology is a stretch for me.

I asked the technician at the Apple Store how he does it, and he said that he does it as I do it: on an as needed basis.

I think he needs to do this learning oftener that I do.

A long time ago when I was wondering if I should do a back-up on my computer I was reading about the pros and cons of a back-up, and the article told me that this is not a question of “will my computer crash” but a question of “when my computer crashes”. That was enough to send me out to get a hard drive to do a back up. That part of my story is good. The down side is that it was about three months ago that I did the back up. Still, having only lost 3 months of writing isn’t that bad, compared to what would have happened if I had never done a back up.

Now I have a new-to-me computer. Charise Bates has upgraded and I have purchased her old one. Moving all of my data, plus buying a new copy of Microsoft 2019 will eventually put me ahead, but right now I am slowed down by having to watch a lot of tutorials to find out what is really going on with this machine.

My learning curve will be steep at first. That is what I am planning, a steep curve. At any rate, I love the weight of this machine. I love to type with my computer on my lap, so I am noticing that this one doesn’t slide down the incline it sits on. I am enjoying that. And I like going out to the internet to find tutorials. I have a small notebook by my side, since for me learning seems to involve writing something down and then going over it a few times as though I am being tested on it. Ah well, everyone has their learning style. Mine is probably unique to me.

I am counting as one of my blessings that I have a back-up called My Passport. It ended up being my passport to a certain amount of calm over a computer crash.

Arta

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.