Monday, December 23, 2019

Patrons of Seussical: the Musical

... Alice waiting for the show to begin...
I heard music during dinnertime – music that I recognized.

“What is that? Cats?”, I asked.

The kids laughed and said, no it is Seussical the Musical.

They have a new radio station and they can hear all of the great musicals plus music that just caters to their tastes. 

And all of us have a new-found love of the musical that Naomi was in.

I can’t say exactly what it is that draws me to live performances of musicals.

... Michael ready to go out and buy his popcorn ...
There is no doubt that they can be put on TV and the editing can make the performances flawless.

Live, there will always be changes to the text, sometimes the music overpowers the singers, the amateur actor doesn’t always have the diction, nor the projection of the professional. 

Still, I love going to high school performances.

On enquiring of Naomi, she knew more about the plot and about her character’s attributes than I might have imagined.

She launched into more than a two-paragraph explanation about the theory of the show.
Betty, Arta and Michael standing in the hall beside
the fabulous murals of the musical we were about to see.

“What would you think she would say?",  her mom explained. She has been doing this for 2 ½ hours every night after school for three months.

And that might be what comes across, when I go hear this charming musical.

All of that work.

I am lucky.

I got to see it first with Gabe as Horton, the elephant and then with Naomi as he Cat and the Hat. Truly memorable performances.

And as a follow-up, we got to hear the music today, coming over the radio: melodies that are now familiar to us.

Nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.