Wednesday, December 25, 2019

More on the Cull

Richard added some insight into the cull of the deer near Magrath:

Deer 1:

My father in law shot a doe, just west of the Porcupine hills and south of Longview.

We turned it into deer jerky and bratwurst.

All of the deer jerky is gone already. The bratwurst is about half done.

Deer 2 and 3:

... down to Magrath for the deer cull ...
We were on the north property of Colleen and Doug Keeler.

... Richard and Naomi Brooks ...
Actually, just north of that at Ken Laws property. I asked Ken if I could hunt and he said yes. I saw two deer sheltering against hay stacks against the Magrath wind. The biggest one had horns. It was a long shot. Maybe 300 yards. I'm awesome.

I thought that I'd missed the first deer, and shot at the second one.

It ran off.

I asked Chris if I could shoot two deer and use his tag for the second.

Thats a bit of a gray area for hunting, but not that against the rules. As I walked up to the deer I saw another one come hoping around and shot it.

Then I found the first. It was a fawn coming back to look for mom. The first one I'd shot was a doe. I thought it was a buck. Deer 2 & 3 are at the butchers right now and going to be turned into chorizo and Octoberfest sausages.

Deer 4 and 5.

... in the garage ...
Magrath had an 'after season' cull to get rid of more of the deer. They really do have too many down there.

On Thursday I went down and met Sabey's, Cook's, Taylor's, and Leishmann'a. Cook's let me catch one on Thursday.

I brought it to Lethbridge and gutted it with Naomi just south of Lethbridge. Saturday I went back and brought Naomi for the whole day. We caught another one in Alison Cooks back yard. Deer 4 & 5 will be as much jerky as possible and the rest will depend on if Chorizo or Octoberfest end up more delicious than Bratwurst.

Richard



No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.