Thursday, July 18, 2019

A Bed Made Around Me

... in front of the raspberry canes before a morning walk ...

... if you look really hard you can see 2 raspberries on the bushes ...
Rebecca has occupied the large room downstairs, spreading out her unread books, her half finished academic papers, her underlined transcripts of interviews, her electronic devices, and still it looks like no one lives there -- so much space to fill and not enough things in her life.

I woke up early and thought to myself, she will soon be moving upstairs and fitting all of that into my room. We are becoming roommates. Why should I wait until then to enjoy her company?

I went downstairs and crawled in bed with her, willing to give herself my best thinking hours of the day – the morning hours.

She sleeps with her ear buds in and when she could feel the covers move she smiled and pulled the ear buds out but she didn’t come to full consciousness. I thought chatting with her would waken her. She did talk a lot but the space between sentences was so long I knew she had gone back to sleep between periods.

 I got out of bed, made my side, carefully smoothing it out to the middle and as I was leaving I heard her call from the other side of the room, “Just like you to make me back into my side of the bed. Straightening out the covers as though I might not want those wrinkles there. I feel as though I have been sandwiched back into my casing.”

Well, that was the most conversation I had out of her all morning.

Who knew?

I just thought I was making my side of the bed.

We might have to work out some partnership rules before she moves up to my bedroom tomorrow.

Arta

2 comments:

  1. i LIKE being sandwiched back in! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you like being sandwiched back in, you are going to love living upstairs with me. I believe in collecting things and then spreading them out.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.