Thursday, July 11, 2019

Anything You Want at the Store

Duncan and his mom were going to Salmon Arm to find a size 14 boot so that he can help me clean the rocks faces at the bottom end of the stream. The last time Duncan, David and I were out doing that work, I was the only one with rubber boots, thus the only one who could go into the stream. They cut down the ferns and pulled out old moss, but there are some thing that are best done from the vanatage point of being in the water and looking at the rock face and being able to pry with the pick axe from the direction of being in the water. I can look at what there is to be done, but I don’t have the strength to unleash the fine set of roots that attaches the moss to the rocks.

So when Duncan asked if there was anything I wanted at the store, I could think of nothing, since my ultimate happiness is going to be had having the stream look neat and tidy by having people with size 14 boots help me.

But buying a few petunias to decorate outside of Alice’s Fix It Shop popped into my mind and out of my mouth. “Could you get me about six wave petunia plants,” I said. “Preferably not white.”

When Rebecca returned she said, “I couldn’t get you white. They were out.” Well, that was good, since I didn’t want white. 

“I brought home six large plants: petunias but they didn’t have wave.”

Well, I am not going to say that was a disappointment, since I had already missed the speeding bullet of white petunias. The exact name for the flower I am planting is Bubble Gum Petunias which speaks to the colour of the flower, a happy name for Betty to discover, since learning to chew Double Bubble Gum is a part of our shared and wonderful past.

When I went to plant the flowers in the evening I was pretty tired and had filled the pots with earth earlier in the day.

Betty came to help me, which is one step worse than no help at all. She has arms like Michael and Alice – long ones that push any other helpers aside in an effort to get in there and do the work themselves. So the video Rebecca caught was Betty using the nozzle of the hose to make a wet space to put the petunias in.  By this moment I have given up trying to organize the course of how the planting will go.

Still, I couldn’t have been having more fun than talking to a three year old about gardening.


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.