Tuesday, July 16, 2019

Lego House

Front view
I recently built a LEGO model of Bonnie's house. It is modular. 

It sits on four large base plates, and the main floor can be removed in order to see the rooms in the basement.

I used more than 8,600 pieces to build the house and furniture. I started the project in late April and completed it by the end of June.

Main floor, bird's eye view.
Although I have built a number of things with Lego before, this was only the second project where I replicated a real building (after the US Capitol), and this one did not come with a set of instructions. 

In this project I worked on some new skills. 

Back porch, sandbox, and slope of hill
The first one was measuring many parts of the real house and deciding how to keep the right proportions among the different parts. 

I did not build it at a specific scale, but I tried to keep it as similar to the real house as possible. 

Lego replica of Bonnie's desk in her office.
The second skill was building something on a slope. 
I had never built a house on a plot that slopes both from east to west and from north to south. 

As in many houses in the area, part of the basement is built at ground level while the rest is “buried” under the main floor. 

Lego beds, complete with
bubble bee stuffie replica.
The third skill was building furniture and other elements inside the house.

Living Room
Replica of 1940s China cabinet.
I had fun building the cabinet Bonnie brought from China; I needed a lot of patience to get Bonnie's cabinet-style desk just right; and I found myself building a furnace, a water heater and the pipes and vents in the furnace room. I had never imagined I would do that with Lego.

Kitchen with stove, fridge, microwave, & dishwasher.
In addition to giving me constructive construction feedback, Bonnie and David also created a few things. 

For example, Bonnie made the colourful bedspreads (front row on beds photo), the fridge, and the stove, while David made many chairs and the dining room table.

By the way, the colour of the floor and of many of the walls simply reflects the Lego pieces I had available.

I hope you enjoy the photos.

1 comment:

  1. The replica of the bumble bee stuffie made me laugh out loud. And I had to go back and take a close look at the cabinet from China.

    Good work, Joaquim.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.