Sunday, July 14, 2019

Cooking Clams

... thinking, thinking, thinking ...
Last night, Richard brought a pail of clams up from the beach.

Today he cooked them.

I thought he was joking about eating them, but no, he had boiling water on and was sliding the shells into the pot.

I moved a little closer since this was something I never taught him to do.

And I call the kids to come and watch as well, so there were five of us hovering around the pot.

“I would just like to take a taste when you are through,” I said.

I just can’t squelch the desire to try something I haven’t had before.

"Can I taste them, daddy?"
“Go ahead,” said Richard. “But I am warning you, if you eat one, you will have had your weekly allotment of salt for the week.  I went a little heavy on the salt.”

Being cautious, I asked him if we couldn’t rinse the clams, so off came the Lowry’s Seasoning Salt and some of
the garlic and butter he had used to give them flavour.

Another wonderful day in Annis Bay.

Arta

2 comments:

  1. I found a government document you may enjoy: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/environment/plants-animals-and-ecosystems/species-ecosystems-at-risk/brochures/freshwater_mollusc.pdf

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the link. It didn't come right out and say stop eating these, but it came close.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.