Thursday, July 11, 2019

The Kitchen Table by Joy Harjo

My friend sent me this charming poem by Joy Harjo.

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/49622/perhaps-the-world-ends-here

... my kitchen island ...

1. Rebecca's clay necklaces with daisy's as imprints

2. wooden bowls show examples of a child's collection
of igneous, metaphorphic and sedimentary rocks

3. mango to be put in Miranda's Thai Peanut Salad
Take a look at it if you have time.

I am reminded of the difference between the inside of the house and the outside. 

I think of all of things a person can do just around a table, as I am reading it.

Then I think of the gift of the outside of the house -- since it is raining I am thinking about the smell of the wet trees and the smell of the mist in the air. 

I am looking at the clouds in the sky and thinking about how all of this, somehow gets brought to the kitchen table at the end of the day.

A lovely day here at the Shuswap.

Arta

1 comment:

  1. And so my brother sends me a new word he thinks may interest me: petrichor. He is right. A word for me, coined in 1964 about the smell that comes with rain after a dry period.

    I love words.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.