Saturday, April 7, 2012

My Walk in Aylmer

PARC commemoratif

Symmes Landing.

That is what Aylmer, P.Q. used to be called.

I found this out when I stopped at a small park, one donated by Symmes to be the centre of town, the gathering place for all.

Land donated to be the town square was a widespread custom when Symmes Landing was a place to stop off  if you were boating down the Ottawa Valley.

... house on the perimeter of the park ...
Symmes also donated land for the Roman Catholic, United and Anglican churches. How is that for pretty well assuring one’s place in heaven.  Nice to cover most of the bases.

I am trying to walk every day.

Really walk.

... quaint balony with white wicker chairs
Yesterday, when I was taking these pictures, the weather treated me to rain, sleet, hail, wind and sun ... all within the space of less than an hour. To keep up my pace and to miss the precipitation, I walked for a while in the mall, but it isn’t the same as strolling along the streets and trying to get acquainted with  the city by the street names, for example.

 ... a good place to read or write ...
Or by looking at the houses that still surround the town square and wondering which of them are still originals, if any.

I did walk along Thomas Street a couple of days ago, and on doing an internet search found out that Symmes named some of the streets after his 10 children, Thomas being one of them.

That was fun.

Yours for more walking,

Arta

2 comments:

  1. So how did you get this posted a day early. Today is Friday April 6th and you are already posting for Saturday April 7th. How can any of us keep up with you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Catherine, everything can go wrong on the internet blogging as I do. There is a function that lets you write and have the post go up in one day or two or whenever you choose. However, I messed up, went in to make corrections and then ... as you see, now you can't trust the date of what I write and you already know not to trust the content.

      What is left?

      Arta

      Delete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.