Monday, April 2, 2012

Rue Principale

... the bench that first caught my eye ...
April 2, 2012

I had an hour and a half to walk this morning to walk.

It was 8 am and I wondered if I could make it down to the lake.

I probably could have done the trip in the time allotted, if I had not had my camera in hand.

The walk to the shopping centre on Rue Principale is only a fifteen minute stroll.

 Bench Waves (though not water waves)
Carin Cuccane, Ondes, 2000
Rue Principale?

I wonder if people call it that?

Main Street?

High Street.

As I was growing up that street that held high commerce was called 8th Avenue.

Bench Flute
Flute de Banc, Rita Rodrigue. 2001
I began to categorize buildings as I walked: churches, restaurants, hotels, -- trying to learn their names.

Of course, I was looking for what it is that makes this more than a Canadian province – looking for that touch of je ne sais quoi?


Bench: Urban Tripod
Tripode Urbaine, 2000, Christine Marcotte
After all, there is something interesting about a United Church that also advertizes The Potters Church service to be held at 8 pm Sunday evening.

I wonder if it is a different congregation that meets in that church. Or is it a group of folks who like to work with mud?

Or even, through my mind goes an old Biblical phrase, having to do with the word, potters, so I come home and look that up on the internet.

Yes ... “and they conferred together and with the money bought the Potter's Field as a burial place for strangers”.

But I read a little further in the definitions and there is also a Potter's Field Bible Study Group.  This is what it must mean in this context.

Strange how all of those Biblical phrases come back to one on an early morning walk.


The Photographer?
... she casts a long shadow ..
.
As you can see, one of the things that stood out for me this morning was the number of benches in the form of art work along the high street.


You may enjoy the art of the benches as well, if you ever come to Aylmer.

Arta


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.