Friday, October 19, 2018

11:30 am Luncheon

There is something just wrong about taking
cheese to a luncheon when other women
have slaved in the kitchen to bring a quiche.
The Bow Valley Ward has arranged for anyone who wants to have lunch together to meet twice a month on Thursday.

This may be the first and third Thursday, but the day may be switched, depending on whatever else is going on.

For example, if there is a funeral, the woman who go to the lunch, will be in the kitchen, helping to prepare for the food after the funeral, so no going out for lunch for them on that day.

I ran across another group of women who have lunch at Wendy’s, rain or shine. Come whomever wishes but what is said at Wendy’s stays at Wendys. That made me laugh.

I haven’t joined the first group yet for a meal. My schedule always had something interfering with that time slot, and it did this Thursday as well, but I re-arranged everything but couldn’t think of what to take for food – my fridge seemed empty to me. Moiya suggested taking some cheese and I am always ahead on that in my fridge. I buy more than I can ever eat. After a new scarf, cheese is the item I can feel justified in buying, especially if it has a $3 off coupon attached to it at Costco.

Miranda had some crackers that I could borrow. Good to have a neighbour who has extras of what I don’t have. She can always come to my fridge and find cheese, though maybe not the kind her children want. Lately, I am finding with cheese, the older the better.

Why didn't I think of the golden rule of cheese: 
have it out of the fridge for at least an hour before serving.

That is when it slices best.
I sliced mine into crumbles before I remembered.
There weren’t many of us: Erva Sherwood, Lurene Sabey, Jackie Richards, Fiona Hasegawa, Peggy Estabrooks, Louise Brown, and a few others. Most of those women I have known for over 60 years.   Maybe 10 of us, all told. The tables were covered with beautiful white linen table cloths, fresh flowers were in vases and between all who came the women had brought all of the food groups except chocolate: a quiche, a broccoli salad, a fruit salad, squares, quick breads, etc.

The conversation couldn’t have been more interesting.

Obvious that this question might come up, but I didn't really thing about it beforehand.

Do you know, one of the big questions was “how do other women connect with their grandchildren?”.
Some send cards for every occasion, not just Christmas and birthdays. One also celebrates the ½ birthdays with cards. One grandmother does a lot of texting; another is out on skype and some on facebook. I blog.

Some who can’t do email anymore, have one of their children send group notes to the grandchildren. Louise Brown participated in a “Getting to Know You” interchange with a grandchild who had an assignment from school where stories were told between them which later became a book.

 What is said at Wendy’s stays at Wendy’s. But what is said at the Bow Valley 11:30 am Lunch show I pass along.

I was curious about some of the grandmothers who wish that their grandchildren would call on their birthdays. I don’t know why that surprised me. I told them that  I don’t expect anyone to call me on my birthday, and so I am pleasantly surprised if someone does. I do like my birthdays and have planned them so carefully, since it is such a joy, just to have another one.

We also discussed social politics (homophobia in the church) – which we all agree are complicated issues in larger families. I liked that part of the discussion, especially since the group of us have watched each other’s families over the years – a lot of years when totalled up. And a lot of joys and sadness shared.

 The oldest woman there was 89. She uses a cane.  She doesn’t work in the kitchens that produce the meals for funerals, but the rest of the women still do.

 In their mid and early 80’s and still they have the energy to do that.

My friends of 60 years.

Arta

1 comment:

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.