Sunday, October 14, 2018

The Wasp Burial Ground

Wasp Killer:  Richard
Photo Credit: Arta
While we were at the Tsutswecw Provincial Park (pronounced "choo-chwek") our lunch consisted of delicious turkey and cranberries sandwiches.

The smell of the turkey sandwiches brought the wasps to our table.

Richard, in an effort to protect his children, began killing them as they landed on the table.

One.

Two.

Three.

Four.

A wasp burial ground right where we were eating.

The dead bodies of these four didn't prevent other wasps from gathering. 

I began to think about the special talent my dad had.  He would let a wasp land on his hand and then say, "This wasp is my friend and won't hurt me." Then as a children and even as an adult, I would watch him let that wasp crawl up and down his hand, between his fingers and under onto his palm.  Then Doral would turn his hand over and show how tame his friend was on the palm as well.  There the wasp would stop and it appeared to me as though the wasp was sharpening a knife and fork read to pounce.  Then it would continue walking around until it finally flew away.

I decided to try Doral's technique.  No one took a picture.  Many were running away from my hand as I would walk over and show them my tame pet wasp.

Arta
Wasp-Tamer

2 comments:

  1. i remember this too. yikes. does saying it (it is my friend) make it so?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The wasps that land on my hand are my friends. I don't bother them. They don't bother me. On the other hand, I knew I was taking a risk. I had figured out, what is the worst than can happen. A wasp bite and I was going to take it without a sound if it happened, so that I would seem brave. Or so that it would seem it hadn't happened at all.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.