Saturday, October 27, 2018

Avatamsaka Sagely Monastery for Lunch

Selfie at the side door of the monastery
Some days are pretty perfect.

My friend, Fazeela, said that we should meet at the Buddhist Temple on 10th Street / Louise Bridge just at the Bow River.

I got there early enough to do some walking about the temple and found this interesting scultpure.  And then when I got home I just had to go find the video about how it was conceived and developed.

https://vimeo.com/199142164

Not that anyone else should click on this link.  I just can't help myself from looking around.

"Insects"
Fazeela said that they have a vegetarian buffet there every weekday from 11:30 am to 1:30 pm.

$9.95.

What is not to like about that.  I would say that the $10 is worth the price of just the thin slices of sweet potato deep fried in a tempura batter.


Placque giving a name to the sculpture
I think I missed the most spectacular part of the temple by just going to the buffet.

When I go to the website it looks like the inside is well worth touring, if such a tour is possible.

As well, I felt a strong pull to just walk along the south shore of the Bow River which is just across the street.

Thanks, Fazeela, for introducing me to an fascinating site I would never have thought to enter.

Arta

5 comments:

  1. One of the many things I appreciate about you, Arta, is you have such different and delightful perspectives(and sometimes irreverent) on everything. How blessed am I to have your friendship.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i LOVED the video on the making of the insect!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You were only 4 blocks from my place! We ride past the monastery many times a week. I have often wondered about the buffet. What was on the menu?

    ReplyDelete
  4. To Rebecca -- I loved the video as well, though it is long as video's go. Was it 13 minutes? I can't remember, but I do remember thinking that I was investing a significant amount of time watching it. I also remember that if I were on a bus tour, this might take 1/2 a morning and I wouldn't get more out of it than is here. So yes. I liked it to. And I press my nose to the window now, whenever I on on the LRT, go over the Bow River and then see the sculpture. I think the little plaza was called Peace Park Plaza, though I will have to check. I couldn't find anything when I googled that, but I did take a try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. To Kerri -- Strange that I didn't pay that much attention to the menu. But I only had this discrete amount of time with my friend and I was so intense on talking to her that I can hardly remember what I ate. Having said that, on the hot buffet were 8 items in the trays: 2 deep fried with batter, 1 tofu, 2 vegetable dishes, I think one fried rice and I can't remember the other . There were also 3 pots of rice on the side: brown, jasmine and plain.

    Across the isle were 3 salads: garden, ceasar and chopped vegetables or maybe fruit. Strange that I don't remember that. As well, a large steamer held vegetables that were wrapped in a wrapper like a won ton wrapper, but they were bigger.

    Tea is extra.

    I don't think they would mind if you just slipped in and took a look at the buffet, just if you were interested in going another time. Fazeela wanted to get there early and avoid the rush, but it was only 1/3 to 1/2 full.

    I would have wanted more sauces for dipping, but in fact, I didn't even ask. I am sure they would have some. I just didn't see them, and as I said, ... when I am with my friends my extreme interest in food disappears, and with this friend? She is such a treasure.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.