Monday, October 15, 2018

Photo Essay on Tsútswecw Provincial Park

I am going through my pictures from the Salmon run and I seem to be wanting to say something about many of them.

 So here are a few words, and a hope that the picture is worth 1,000 more words.

This is a hand carved wooden sculpture.  I can't remember the price -- more than $3,000, I think and less than $6,000.
There were a number of sculptures, either for sale or for decoration around the park. 
I did not get a picture of the picnic table that was for sale, but it was just under $7,000 and extremely beautiful.
There was a sign on it saying, please do not sit at this table.
However we noticed that many people did sit at the table, I think just not seeing the sign.
It was a table that screamed out "Please sit at me".
I will give the table that.
This bear is as high as the gift shop tent that it was standing beside.

I am not accustomed to this style of indigenous art.  It look much different to me that the art I see at the west coast.

There is a large teepee to the right and then Alice is standing by a small construction, I think made out of bark.  There was no description nearby, nor was there anyone around telling us what this was used for.

Alice in a close-up of the smaller construction.
Does any reader know what this unit is for?

"Weytk,” means Welcome in Secwepemc which is the language of the three local Secwepemc Nation Bands – Neskonlith, Adams Lake and Little Shuswap.

A salmon outside of the bat house.  On reflection, this artwork is probably not meant for riding on, although there was no sign prohibiting having a ride.

A sandwich board for tourists, especially young ones.


And that is it folks. 
Our fun at the Salmon Run Festival.

Arta

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.