Saturday, October 27, 2018

Funny Girl - I just about didn't get there

I have been waiting for this event with great anticipation. Sheridan Smith had such great reviews that I was waiting to watch her every move, and to keep in mind her crystal clear voice. Her timing was exquisite, as a comedians should be.

Sheridan Smith in Funny Girl
Having all of this anticipation is why I had some anxiety when I found myself on the C-train going down to Eau Clair Centre, doing a final check on what was in my backpack, and realized I had left my wallet at home.

 Good that 3 cans of Coke were there and a tin box full of fruit candies to suck on in case I got tired. But no money to use at the box office.

I have often wondered if I found myself in this situation, if they would take my wedding ring as collateral, and I could come back later. I didn’t want to test this o ut so I got off at the next stop, ran across the tracks and took the train going back home. I used the fast walk there and back to get my wallet as just another moment of exercise. I was filled with the memory of I was in London and got to Les Miserables late. They wouldn’t let us in for 20 minutes. I can still remember sitting there in the lobby, looking at the monitors, which just wasn’t the same.

Being late was different in Calgary. I was only held back, when I finally got to the theatre, by the long line at the candy counter which is where to buy tickets as well. Everyone else was lined up for popcorn.

I have been resisting using the patron-operated machines that give out tickets, but I gave up on that and pulled out a credit card. I am not that good, and did something wrong enough that my credit card was declined. Yikes. Pay back for not learning how to use the machine earlier.

I came into the darkened theatre when Fanny Brice was doing her first audition – it is OK, I missed a bit of the opening. I made up for it by staying in the theatre until the orchestra had finished playing the postlude. What a show. I would love to see it again. Thank you Wyona for developing a taste for musicals in me. And Happy Birthday to you as well.

Arta

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.