Friday, October 19, 2018

Julie last night

Image from National Theatre Website
I went to see Strindberg’s classic tale, Julie, last night at the Cineplex in Eau Claire Market.

Of course the old tale has been adapted, lots of adaptation on this 1881 tale have been done over the years.

I didn’t read any reviews until this morning and only this one from from The Stage.

 All in all, reviews don’t frighten me, or keep me away from seeing shows.

This review would have been helpful, but reading it after the fact is just fine, too.

 There were less than 10 people in the theatre.

A few minutes before the encore started, Donna Coates, a professor from times past for me, walked down the isle.

I hopped up and visited with her, finding out about last year’s sabbatical in Australia, about this year’s courses, and what she is doing for entertainment. She highly recommends seeing The Wife and Collette, both movies which I have yet to view.

Still, I am trying to keep up and hopefully will get to the opera tomorrow: Samson and Dalila.

 And hopefully listen to a little of Saint-Saëns before I get there.

 Or not.

Arta

2 comments:

  1. I think I stayed away from that question when I was writing about seeing the show. I am still in the throws of the aftermath of being invested in believing women's testimonies about their lives which was generated for me from the Christine Blasey Ford testimony. So this production had some problematic themes for me. One of theme was that the responsibility of the betrayal of the female servant was on Julie. I think the chauffeur "got off" in the analysis of what went wrong in the show.

    But saying that doesn't mean I didn't have full enjoyment of the set. I don't like to say that Julie was portrayed a bit neurotic, but having put analysis out there, her hands took my attention a lot of the time. Neurotic? A bad word. A fabulous portrayal of the sexualization of the body through the hands. I might not have it right, yet.

    Did you see the show, Rebecca?

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.