Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Online Sunday School -- Week 43 of 2018

Hello,

I told Mary I would start an online Sunday School since she is taking a Sabbatical from her regular Sabbath experience.

I have done some thinking about curriculum  and in trying to figure out a something that would be appropriate for the Online Sunday School, I thought it would be a good idea to use as the text, the Final Report of the TRC Commission of Canada.

They issued 94 Calls to Action from the Truth and Reconciliation Commission.

Heeding their call for all churches to teach the history of Canadian aboriginal people and the effects of the residential schools, I thought a good text would be the TRC's Summary.

There is a pdf of it online at http://www.trc.ca/websites/trcinstitution/File/2015/Findings/Exec_Summary_2015_05_31_web_o.pdf

I lent my paper copy and so until I get it back or buy a new one (which is what I should really do) then I think our class will follow the Faculty Blog at the UofA for a text.  That blog sends an email each week day.   The blog takes less than four minutes to read, usually.  This week they have touched on racism (Monday) and on the effect of TB in Canada's North (Tuesday).

To receive daily alerts email the words "add me" to reconciliactionyeg@gmail.com.  

On Sunday we will have a chat about what we have read this week.

Arta

3 comments:

  1. awesome choice! i have read two of their posts so far this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are the one who taught me not to be afraid of the law. You said to me, it is so easy. Just read every word slowly and everything will be clear. Then you took your finger and ran it along a line as you read it outloud and lo and behold, you are were right. The law is perfectly understandable. So ... no one should be afraid of signing up to a blog that talks about the law. This one is beautiful, because it is well footnoted. If a person wants to know where this information is coming from, the footnotes will tell you. Once last year, I was moved by something on one of the day's postings and I just sent a quick note back to the authors to say thank you. I got such a lovely letter of thanks for reading their blog in return. So yes, I agree with you, Rebecca about this being a good place for anyone to go who wants to participate in reconciliation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One more thing, Rebecca. I don't know if you read last week, but those posts on the Reconciliation blog were hard even though they just took a few minutes to read. For 5 days they talked about law cases, but each time it seemed that justice was not served in the case as far as Indigenous people were concerned. Having just written that I felt my eyes go wide, acknowledging other recognition. I thought to myself, was it any easier yesterday to read about the high probability that people will get TB in the north? :-(

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.