Sunday, October 28, 2018

Online Sunday School - Week 44 of 2018

One of the few songs I learned at the feet of my father was “Young folks, old folks everybody come, join the Mormon Sunday School and have a lot of fun”…. I went looking for a good utube rendition of the song. Ha ha. Now to find the lyrics.

Online Sunday School – Week 44 
 I can see why people might not want to come to the Online Sunday School.

Not unless they are really ready to participate in acts of reconciliation. 

Mary, I don’t even know if you had time to sign up to the ongoing blog text I am reading and wanting to discuss.

This week there has been a discussion on “how racism has affected Indigenous peoples in a broader society sense that is not limited to the law”. That was made clear on Monday with a post entitled “In Light of the Hateful Letter to the Andersons”. The week‘s discussion then picked up on tuberculosis in Inguit, Nunangat; Indigenous Homelessness; Edmonton’s Own Hospital of Horrors (the Charles Camsell Indian Hospital) and a discussion about disturbing colonial attitudes which included threats of biological warfare against them.

I am glad all of this comes in small chunks each day – just enough to think about and not be overwhelmed.

Some years ago, when reflecting on my own life, I was wishing that I had spent less time studying my own religion and more time studying the history of Canada. For some reason, I can take that wish back, now, since I can see ahead of me, plenty of time to do the latter and I don’t regret anything I learned when I was fully immersed in doing the former.

Well, that is my summary about what I learned this week. As well, the following are three other places where I found interesting reading that I want to share, or perhaps that you saw as well.

I guess I will call these “option” readings from last week.

1. I liked the following piece in the Edmonton Journal: Opinion: Let’s not whitewash racism in the justice system

2. I went to Darcy Lin’s Facebook page – June 19th “I don’t believe in pointing to the parallels of separation of children from their parents in the US and the past and present ‘child-welfare” politics…”
 I thought this was a particularly beautiful literary piece of writing.

3. Again Darcy Lin's facebook page dated August 30 – “For Mom on her 64th”
 I have placed that choice here for people who like poetry.

4.   And of course, I can now substitute "online sunday school" for Mormon/Baptist Sunday School or whatever religion a person substitutes here.  Here is how it is sung in Glasgow.  Not with the same tune I remember, but then, no one ever said that Doral had the right tune.

Arta

2 comments:

  1. Hey Arta, "Darcy Lin" is our very own "Darcy Lindberg". he is an amazing writer (and person), eh? He starts teaching at UofA law school in January. They are so lucky....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I have read, either his thesis, or a paper on tanning moose hide? Am I right on that?

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.