Tuesday, February 12, 2019

1 yeast cake

Moiya emailed me to say, "No one will know what 1 cake of yeast is in the recipe for Orange Rolls in Larch Kitchens blogspot.  The answer is,  it is 2 ¼ tsp. of yeast. Please add to the post. Or perhaps it is only me who is just getting to know that you go google it."

Well, that really made me laugh!

I can remember what a yeast cake looked like. 

I can even remember the taste of that wet yeast, licking the residue off of my finger -- that nasty taste of  yeast in my mouth.

I can even remember a block of yeast that looked like a pound of butter. Mother kept it up in the freezing compartment of the fridge, and then I would have to just break off a piece -- a hunk and put it in warm water with some sugar.  Just one of my go-do-this-Arta jobs.  It wasn't long until the foil wouldn't fit around the package anymore because it was ripped here and there and the exposed block would look kind of nasty and freezer-dried, but the product still worked.

I am afraid of my birthday coming up. I think I am only 20 but I am 78 now and I know what a yeast cake looks like which is my evidence of my old age.

 I told Moiya when I see that recipe I just add 1 tablespoon of yeast -- so obviously I don't know how to go out and look up the answer on google.

I tried to go make the correction on the recipe at the Larchhaven.blogspot.ca website.  All I could find was this Orange Whole Wheat Bread which I remember as tasting so delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.