Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Recipe for Pink Shirt Day 2019

Step 1 

Bring to boil
- 2 quarts water, 
- 4 T red dye, and
- 1 cup salt. 

Add to boiling water

- 2 old white socks, and 
- 1 old white tshirt.

Turn down heat, and 
simmer for 20 min.

Rinse items in 
warm water until 
water run off is clear.

Step 2

Examine items for 
degree of success.

Discover how wonderful old deodorant/sweat stains are for absorbing dye.

Step 3

Consider whether shirt will ...
- increase intended anti-bully sentiment, or 
- create discomfort in peers, and possible bullying.

Step 4

Toss shirt.
Put on  shopping list:
- buy a pink shirt for 2020.


4 comments:

  1. This was a fabulous experiment, done in the fashion of a true scientist, documenting each step and keeping data. I have only tried to dye something a couple of times in my life and never had success. I have heard that after you finish dying something, you are to set the dye by plunging the article in a solution of vinegar water. But it has never worked for me, either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first try I vaguely remembered something about vinegar, and put it in with the dye. When little color was absorbed, I did experiment #2 that I shared on the blog. =) I may have gotten enough experience this time to remember not to try this next year, and instead save the food coloring for icing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, you are making me laugh. Don't dye with food colouring. You have to buy *real* dye, though I don't even know where to get it. It is called Ritz dye, it comes in a small cardboard package, and by the time you buy all of the materials, it might be just as cheap to buy that new pink shirt.

    But since you like experiments, do look at the store next time you are there and find the Ritz dye and bring home a package. Of course there are people who do tye-dying, and they use natural products like onion skins, etc. But you are not that person.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.