Monday, February 25, 2019

Two More Books

Generations
This is the second blog showing the front of Rebecca’s new books: seven more of them.

The whole set of books has been so interesting to have in the house.

I read two of the 13 right away.

I have weekly readings to do for Rebecca’s class, as well, —usually three or four chapters from the different sources that will support the theme of the class lectures.

We are moving into humour in the film of the Inuit.

I think the film we will be seeing is Why White People Are Funny.

Bird Brains
We saw the film this week before class.
People From Our Side
A Life Story with Photographs and Oral Biography

Now I have to read three long chapters before I can allow myself to go back to reading these beautiful books.

I have the same problem as anyone else in life – finding that hour that I can set aside just for myself.

Just for reading.

The hours of delicious pleasure with just a book in hand.

I want that hour early in the morning when I am freshest.

But that is also the best time for the work out and the best time to do housework. The dust really flies when I get to that housework job early.

Caribou Skin Clothing
of the Igloolik Inuit
On other matters, Rebecca had a group of people come in for a meeting this Friday morning: law students who had been on a month long field trip and were now wrapping up some data they had collected.

Rebecca asked for early morning cinnamon buns.

She rarely asks me to do this.

 In fact, this was the first time since I have been here.

So much went wrong with them.

But I acknowledge I have quite a high standard. I got up at 4 am to make the bread.

The dough was too soft.

I could see that after the first rising.

I had to knead more flour into it and let it rise again.

My Name is Arnaktauyok
The Life and Art of Germaine Arnaktauyok

In my mind I just thought, oh well, I will call this batter bread and this was my first rising before adding the second amount of flour.

Reawakening
Our Ancestor's Lines
Even though I think that making a batter bread is stupid, it works for many people and had to work for me today.


Piluaqtiuyugut:
We are the Distance Walkers

As well, Rebecca’s pans are pretty old.

She would never go out and buy new ones.

I would but we are never in a store. Canadian Tire is close enough that I could walk there, but these mornings, I am not out doing that walk since our days seems to be so full of other things.

Not to worry about the walking though.

I am already at 4,100 steps and it isn’t 10 am yet, today.

I will make it to 10000 just running around doing “things”.

Unikkaaqtuat:
An Introduction to Inuit Myths and Legends
My idea of coming home and making supper, an elegant supper, means doing something like making a toasted tomato sandwich and then sitting down and eating it along with cauliflower and broccoli already cooked and in the fridge from yesterday.

Add Frank’s Hot Sauce and it all tastes exotic.

The facts of my life?

Often mundane.

Arta

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.