Thursday, February 21, 2019

Books from Afar

Braiding Sweetgrass:
Indigenous Wisdom, Scientific Knowledge and the Teachings of Plants
by Robert Kimmerer
On Rebecca’s return from Yellowknife gifts came: a wallet for me, a new T-shirt for Duncan and the books for the whole family.

Thirteen new titles were added to the coffee table.

I had to run my hands over the covers of all of them.

Inuit Quajimajatuqangit
Shamanism and Reintegrating Wrongdoers into the Community

Arctic Man: 65 Years in Canada's North
Sometimes a book seemed just too precious to open.

I know that there is so much to read at this house on Indigenous topics.

But the books this time were specialized, mostly about the Inuit, though there are some other titles.

I picked up the one on Tattooing and read it first, a mixture of glossy back and white photos of tattoos, along with portraits of some women and their stories about why they wanted to have traditional tattooing done, and how they went about it.
The Netsilik Eskimo
I don’t think the book took an hour to read.

I was curious about the design with is often ribbon like with dots and triangles, and right and left leaning lines being part of what is going on.

One of the books came wrapped in plastic, since it is an old book with a title that was appropriate for those times, but not for now.

Ukkusiksalik: the People's Story
Anway, I have finished 1 of thirteen books now, a good start.

And just because I think the titles and book covers are interesting, I am going to put some pictures of them up on this blog.

Arta


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.