Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Pizza Crust

I am trying to give Alex 17 chances to make pizza crust. I am doing this, just for an experiment, and if any of the pizza crusts turn out, well that will be bonus for me. I have a simple recipe, which we tried. The basic method is, for a chemist (which Alex is), wake the yeast up with a little sugar. Then add flour, salt and a few spices and let the Kenmore mix master beat it for 5 minutes. Preferably add the right proportions of each ingredient.

... ready for the oven ...
experiment 1
We let first try rise over a warm vent grate and here is the final result.

As I warned you, I are worrying about process, not result. That is what let us give up on the extra cheese, since we only had about one cup of cheese in the house no matter where we looked.

Alex wanted to add extra seasonings: thyme, nassi goren spice, star anise. I begged him to wait for later the road for those additions.

Alex is prone to add ingredients of his choice.

He pulled out the chorizo sausage fro the fridge but Rebecca and I were sending up shouts of, “No, it has to be cooked first.”

He showed us words on the back of the package that said: our sausage is pre-cooked.

That took away my fear of being utterly doomed, perhaps even dying from raw sausage. I sliced the chorizo thinly.

Alex grabbed some spinach out of the fridge, which I would not have added.

I wanted to the sun dried tomatoes in oil, some roasted red peppers in a jar and some olives.

Alex didn’t anything bottled or canned.

It is fun living here.

Arta


5 comments:

  1. Five stars for appearance. How did it taste?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is there anything missing from your recipe? Oil? Or is that just a memory my hands have of the pan being greased? Or put oil on hands before kneading so it doesn't stick to your hands?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't see a recipe in this post. I just use any simple basic pizza dough recipe. I always like to grease the pan with lard. That makes the pizza come off without a hitch. It is worth buying the lard and keeping it in the fridge. if the dough is too soft, it is going to stick to your hands. There is a fine line, isn't there, between too soft and too hard. Ere on the side of soft and then throw down a little flour on your counter and roll the dough with a rolling pin. Then flop it in the pan and finish pushing it out to the edges.

    The "mine" t-shirt is from Duncan. Too small for him now and just right for me. And the pizza tasted great. We haven't tried it again, but tonight I made brownies. i don't think they stood up to the taste of the ones Rebecca and Duncan have been making. Theirs has 1/4 cup more of cocoa, and that has made all of the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I should say one more thing, Bonnie. I usually have some form of oil on my hands when I go to pick up bread dough. Just my way of keeping the stickiness down.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.