Monday, February 4, 2019

Online Sunday School Week 4

For over a year, I have been thinking so much about the Truth and Reconciliation Commission’s 94 Call to Action, the one that calls churches to teach their people about the history of the residential schools. I have been wondering what I would suggest if I were on the curriculum committee for my church. I thought a good suggestion was for interested people to read the UofA Faculty Blog and then discuss it after reading the blog’s Monday-through-Friday posts.

Like some of you, I have been watching the UofA Faculty blog. They have investigated some Canadian law schools to see if they are working on Call to Action No 27. The bloggers report there is no law school in Canada that managed to get a mandatory course on Indigenous Law for their first year students. I was wondering what an outside investigator would say of my Online Sunday School. “She is trying, but pretty passive, … not really a study of the impact of the residential schools.”

I found myself in the mode of thinking, thinking, thinking. I think I can change.

Now I do have the Final Report of the Truth and Reconcilation Commission of Canada, Volume One: Summary.

But it is in Calgary.

 So I bought a new one at the University of Victoria bookstore. A few cents under $40. I think a good investment. Now I am going to annotate my copy like Rebecca does. Anyone who wants to join me can get their own copy, or just use the digital copy that is available online for free.

536 pages. I did the math. That is 10 pages a week.

Last week I should have been doing pages 30 to 40.

This week I will do pages 40 to 50.

Happy reading this week to me, and to those who want to pick up their TRC work by reading through this volume. For me it will be reading for the second time and I am really happy to get at it.

Arta

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.