Monday, February 4, 2019

Ripped Jeans

This is high fashion?
As I was growing up, I did not think much about the following: sometimes seams on articles of clothing cause discomfort.

Seams or labels, or something with the cut of a design – anything that makes clothing uncomfortable to wear.

I just haven’t thought about it.

Discomfort?

Just pushed it way back in my mind and get on with moving forward in the day.

I am not going in the direction of, so don’t wear clothing. Some parts of Canada are in a polar deep freeze right now. Clothing is good, but not clothing that is uncomfortable.

Many years ago when a certain style of jeans became fashionable, I decided I would not buy them.

The style was called damaged, ripped, shredded, rugged, and distressed.

I felt I had already worn that style years ago by wearing jeans when they were ripped and shredded from ordinary labour. Now the style was created from perfect good clothing, roughed up by sandpaper at the manufacturer’s end and now looking like as though it had been thoroughly used. That is not to say this could not be a do-in-yourself project and any design is equal to any other – just whatever is the look of fashion as I see it shouldn’t really be ripped clothing.

I just didn’t look at that style until Wyona brought it to me in the changing room of a woman’s clothing department in the form of jeans. She said, “Look, $10 a pair – even the jackets -- and you may not like them, but the price is right.” She was correct on both accounts. Not my first pick, and the price was right.

Frayed edges are not that cool!
Now I have three pair – still ½ price of what one pair would have been regularly. But I am noticing that it is not all that comfortable to have shredded cotton laying across one knee or the other knee right through the hole at the knee on another pair of jeans.
Why don’t I just think about comfort? If there is a seam (or a hole) in a garment, is it my job to wear it, even though I have to carry this nagging feeling of discomfort all day all day around my neck or on my leg. Or just because I got a good price, which is, of course, reason enough for me.

Now I am taking the stance, these are not made for only the young. They are to be worn by the young at heart, and that is me.

Arta

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.