Monday, February 25, 2019

The Mundane

Sunday has come and gone without much fan fare. Like many things in life, it hasn't been all good, but it hasn't been all bad. As my household winds down for the evening, I decided to snap a few photos to share some of the mundane chez nous with the Larch Haven blog readers

Joaquim and I sat on the couch, he with his book and I with mine. Sudoku is his usual choice for relaxing his mind before bed. I grabbed a book he brought home from the college, but then shifted to taking photos and blogging.

I am half way through this collection published by Alternative History Comics, Inc. Each story has drawn me into reflection. Sean and Rachel Qitsualik-Tinsley (writers) and Menton3 (illustrator) contributed the story "The Qallupiluk: Forgiven." I'm going to have David reread it with me, because it has been the most challenging for me so far.

Can you finish this
Suduko puzzle
before Joaquim does?

We had baked chicken and a side dish of potato, chickpeas, and garden peas curry on a bed of rice for dinner. Then, while Joaquim and I did the dishes,  David completed his homework on religion. David worked on a  Venn diagram comparing Judaism, Islam, and Christianity. I worked on respecting David's autonomy and right to decline unsolicited suggestions.

Are you tempted to add to
this Venn diagram? If so, then
 go make some brownies.

Gratefully, I found a task that made it easier for me to stop pestering David. Making brownies makes me think of my mother. Arta can whip up a batch of brownies and have them out of the oven before I even realize she is cooking. My memory of brownies includes a smile on her face that I cannot describe. Do you know the smile of which I speak? I think I had it on my face as I smelled the brownies cooking and anticipated the joy of eating them and the joy of surprising David with a treat.

My best laugh today came at dinner. I asked David if he still self-identified as an atheist. He replied, "Yes." I asked Joaquim if he too identified as an atheist.  He said, "Well, I prefer not to label." David responded, "Well, that explains why it is so hard to find the Lego peices I want downstairs."

Can you figure out the
temperature outside
from this photo?

May your mundane be as wonderfully mundane as ours.

8 comments:

  1. Thank you for letting me enter your Sunday evening wrap up. I hope the suduko turned out for Joaquim. I won't ever be helping someone with that puzzle. It raises my anxiety rather than calming me for the evening.

    Yes. I do like to make brownies. Just to hear the word, I can feel myself moving to the kitchen. Rebecca and Duncan made them last night at our house. And the week before it was Alex and Rebecca.

    When I finally got home, there wasn't even the smell of brownies left. I could only see a few hardened crumbs in a pan, but not enough to chase on the end of my finger. Waah!

    What happened to the left over brownies at your house.

    The recipe I use is on pg 59 of the Johnson "Manna from Heaven" cookbook. It is called Betty's brownies. Betty was a neighbour of Aunt Nadine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used the recipe in the back of the Cocoa Tin. It called for 1c, and I was shy about 2 Table spoons but went for it anyway. David is eating the last one I knew of, but has some he tucked away for lunches hidden from me. That makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i can't believe you are reading about the Qalupalik! And Rachel Qitsualik is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, indeed. Do you own that collection? If no, I will get you a copy. I know you would read it.

      Delete
  4. We had another round of making brownies at our house. Duncan again. Today Rebecca was saying that they were the best she has ever tasted, I think in her life. We put some away, but then Duncan brought them out for Alex who had missed eating them. However, he brought them out to late, and Alex was already full and didn't want them. Still, this morning when I would have like one, they were gone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You made me laugh saying you were 2 tablespoons short on the cocoa front. I always buy the big can at Costco and then make sure I have a back-up big can as well. And I laughed also when you said you had a smile when David had put some away for the next day. That is where most of my smiles about brownies comes from as well.

    And how am I supposed to tell the temperature from the photo? Is there a bit of frost on the rack? But why would it have been outside? Help me with that one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. On the china cabinet behind the brownies is a thermometer next to the lanolin. It reads +21C indoors and -4C outside.

    We are lucky to have such mild temperatures in February.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OK

    Now I see your thermometer. Yes to good weather. Will spring be there soon. Glen always tells me that I must be at the lake in April if I want to catch the weeds before they are full blown monsters. Can you guarantee that the snow will be gone if i come then?

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.