Thursday, May 17, 2012

The Lion King

Duncan thinks I like to torture him. This may be true, but not in the way he thinks. He can't figure out why I keep taking him to musicals, especially when he has told me over and over again that he dislikes opera, he dislikes plays, and he especially dislikes musicals. I told him that though he is not happy in the adventures that he has to take with me, still, when I am old and dying, he is going to grab my hand and thank me for going with him to these cultural events.

He sincerely doubts that is going to happen.
... small brown sign?  Box Office for the Lion King ...

Either way, I still am going to take him. Yesterday, I had in mind to get tickets to The Lion King. Wyona has trained me how to get up and down the Strand, going in and out of theatres to find out which are the best days to go, and where the cheapest tickets can be found. I thought I knew my way directly to the Apollo, but after walking down a couple of streets, and feeling lost, I turned a corner, leaned against a building and pulled out my Handy London Guide. I checked the names of both the street and the avenue, and by rights, and according to the map, I should have been able to see the theatre. I looked directly over my head and there was a sign saying, Box Office.  Oh well, it is hard to be looking left, right, up and down all at the same time.

Electric Vehicles Only
I enjoyed standing in the line.

All a person has to do in London is stand in one place for a while, and the interesting human touch is everywhere.

For example, I saw a car across the street -- an odd shape -- but I loved the fact that there are special parking places for vehicles like these.
The Safety Curtain for The Lion King

Duncan and I were in the stalls, at about Row F. In the opening number African animals walk down the isle, -- and as Duncan pointed out, it took one person for each of the elephant legs and one inside of the elephant was operating the head and the tusks. The play is masterful, if one only looks at the puppetry -- sometimes the gazelles were on a large cart, making circular leaps as the cart would roll along. That puppet was particularly graceful.

Did we have a good time?

You bet.

Lunch before the matinee was from Tesco -- you know, for 2.5 pounds you can have a sandwich, a drink and crips, eaten on the Strand while your grandmother points out St. Mary-le-Bow just to the left of you.

Torture.

Arta

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.