Monday, December 31, 2018

Arta Meets Mike Todd

Two Jarvis families gathered for Christmas. By virtue of being the grandmother in one family, I held that status in both families. At least to the Todd children who are so pleasant to be around. I was interested in getting to know Mike, their dad, since we have never met. He told me that he liked to make bread, or at least that he does make bread, but not well. I told him that I am sure I have made thousands of tons of bread, some of it not very well either.

Mike seemed really interested in making bread. He says he does it home and produces a heavy and sometimes burned product. I didn’t know if he was pulling my leg or telling me the truth. Bread that hasn’t worked out has happened to me as well. I offered to show him how to make nice tall loaves in Alberta.

Now Catherine had purchased some brown flour at the store – a small bag by the standards of 20 or 50 pounds of flour at a time that I purchase. I didn’t notice that the bag said on it that it is a special blend for whole wheat. The flour was beautiful with cracked grains of wheat, etc.

I didn’t have my eye on that, though I should have been. Just alone that flour produces such beautiful loaves.

I was looking at the poppy seeds and the sesame seeds in Catherine’s cupboards, find a way to add them to the bread.

Add caption
Catherine has been saving the last of the frosted shredded wheat flakes.

She had been saving this product from many boxes, thinking that sometime she will put this shredded residue on granola, or even eat them in a bowl with milk.

But that hasn’t happened, so we tossed in a cup full of those which gave the bread a lot of extra sweetness.

At any rate, we added lots of products and beautiful bread was produced.

And because the afternoon was designated for fun in the kitchen, we went on and made white bread to roll into cinnamon buns.

Quite the place to work, Catherine’s remodelled kitchen with four children either at our feet or helping to punch down bread.

 Quite the family man to work with: Mike Todd.

Arta

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.