Wednesday, December 5, 2018

How to make elk chili

Recipe from Richard Johnson


I got an elk this year, so I've got Arta's freezer jammed full as well as ours.

My little 120 lb deers every year don't compare when bringing home a 350 lb cow elk.

For chilli, I add canned tomatoes, spices, and elk meat.

Adding mustard, ranch dressing, and franks hot basically makes it a "wings night" at the bar, but in chilli format... at least, going for wings i get the hot ones and put ranch dressing on them to cool it down.

I boil the meat to get it out of frozen, and then drain the water and fry it in oil a while.

1/4" cup of chilli powder I think. Thyme, cumin, garlic, oregano? probably a few more. All I want to point out is I always think it's got too much thyme. I think i got over thymed as a kid and now I don't like the flavor of it.

I get TONS of ground in the chili and zero zero zero venison flavor. Then I add a squirt of mustard, a squirt of franks hot sauce, and a squirt of ranch dressing while microwaving it.

Today, I'll probably have seconds.

Richard

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.