Saturday, December 1, 2018

Barbie Expo - Permanent Collection

Models on runway that moves
2 rows of spectators with cameras watching
The cameras are flashing intermittently
I had to go to trip advisor to find out everything I needed to know before I went to the Barbie Expo.

"This is not Barbie as you once knew her! 
The Barbie Expo, conveniently located in the heart of downtown, in Les Cours Mont Royal, Montreal’s most prestigious upscale shopping mall, is a brilliant and exciting way to showcase the haute couture fashion available at the exclusive flagship boutiques within the mall.
Room where modes are getting ready 
Dracula Barbie
notice the beautiful white fangs
I shot this one for Rebecca
The stunning display houses over 1000 dolls, and is the largest permanent Barbie doll Expo in the world! A truly incredible selection of world-renowned designers have magnificently fashioned breathtaking outfits for every possible occasion—all of them modeled by the 11.5 inch fashion icon herself. 
Admission is free. 
Designers on display include Christian Dior, Donna Karan, Armani, Ralph Laurent, Vera Wang, Bill Blass, Oscar de la Renta, Christian Louboutin, Zac Posen, Carolina Herrera, Bob Mackie, and many other authentic fashion all-stars!"
I just happened upon this spot as I was walking the malls one morning after riding the Montreal Metro with Mary to the hotel where she was going to a transportation conference.

The admission was frree.

Mermaid Barbie
What's not to like about that.

The venue is stunning.  Marble floors.  Huge chandeliers.  A fountain whose water goes at least 5 feet high.  Many stems of orchids around the edge of the fountain.   I could have been in a Los Vegas venue for the beauty of it all.

I decided to talk my walker back there on a subsequent visit and just sit for a whole day, moving it from display case to display case.

I haven't been able to get the walker back there, but today was my fourth trip to the venue, this time with Catherine and Hebe.


I have great admiration for anyone who sews, let alone someone who sews, glues and appliques tiny costumes like the ones on these dolls.. 
South American Barbie
Peacock Barbie
African Barbie
notice the lovely neck rings

2 comments:

  1. yes, i did indeed love the dracula barbie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think my camera work was up to the task, and all of these dolls were behind glass which made taking pictures of them very difficult. So I couldn't catch the artful decorative faces on these dolls. I am pretty sure they had the same model of face, but were then painted to go with the outfit. For example, Mary Poppins and the chimney sweep almost seem to pop out of the glass as being more real than imaginary. The dracula face was wonderful. Chinese and Japanese dolls had eyes that were different than other dolls. The whole thing, works of art, just not the faces. The little shoes were so different. I spent a lot of time look at the hair of the women who were spectators at the fashion show -- two rows of them and not one of them coiffed the same. Embarrassing, but I will probably be back to the exhibit again this week.

    I guess if I were to live my life over, I would buy more Barbies for my kids.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.