Monday, May 31, 2021

Abigail Echo-Hawk

I have been thinking non stop about the 215 stolen indigenous children whose lives were taken at the Kamloops Indian Residential School and whose families where never told.  Buried there with no record of their name or deaths. I know there are many more sites like this across Canada and North America yet to be discovered and documented.

I came across this poem today, written by Abigail Echo-Hawk.  I needed to type it out. Read it aloud. Let my tears flow.


When they buried the children
What they didn't know
They were lovingly embraced
By the land
Held and cradled in a mother's heart
The trees wept for them, with the wind
they sang mourning songs their mother's
didn't know to sing
bending branches to touch the earth
around them.  The Creator cried for them
the tears falling like rain.

Mother Earth held them
until they could be found.
Now our voice sing the mourning songs.
with the trees. the wind. light sacred fire
ensure they are never forgotten as we sing
JUSTICE


When I went out to try to find out more about Abigail Echo-Hawk I came across this converstion with her about the work she is doing in Seatle right now. She is the chief research officer of the Seattle Indian Health Board and is creating programs and databases that are not based on Western concepts to better serve indigenous communities.

Conversation with Abigail Echo-Hawk

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for introducing me to Abigail Echo-Hawk's voice and work. Mother Earth has such power and strength. The image of her cradling these little ones, these loved ones, I find myself rocking gently, swaying along with the branches, the leaves, and the grasses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning Mary! Thank you for sharing and I will be learning more about Abigail and her work as well.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.