Tuesday, May 18, 2021

Lilac Syrup

Last summer while at the lake I decided I was going to see how many things I could make using edible plants from the land -- mullen, saskatoon berries, blackberries, pin cherries and more.  It was a great adventure full of amazing flavours and textures.  

Miranda made lavender simple syrup using the lavender blossoms from a plant in Arta's garden, which I believe was gifted to her from Glen. It was delicious in homemade lemonade,  cocktails, and as a sweetener for whipped cream.

Inspired by Miranda, yesterday after catching a whiff of the insanely amazing smelling lilac in my backyard, I decided to try making lilac simple syrup.

Here's the recipe I used -- I substituted one cup honey for one of the cups sugar instead.  

Lilac Simple Syrup Recipe

I have a couple of lilac bushes snuggled between the side of the house and the fence.


Cut off some blooms.  You're gonna need a lot more than you think to make 4 cups of the tiny flowerettes.

Solicit help from your kids to pick off those tiny scented miracles.  Try not to get too many bits of green stem (they are bitter).  Eat one to test it out.  They are surprisingly good -- or maybe not surprisingly since you are planning to eat them anyway in syrup form (mmmm, sugar). On their own, much sweeter than I expected.


An now, into the syrup to steep for 12 hours.


When you ope the lid the next morning be prepared for the most wonderful smell. Strain out flowers.



Into the fridge (well, first maybe dip your finger in for a taste).



 


9 comments:

  1. I want to know what libations are going to go with this? will you put it in whipping cream? what about a lilac creme brulee? or lilac icecream?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes in whipping creme. A friend suggested meringues or shortbread. Yes! Ice cream yes. I've never made creme brulee. I did notice your kitchen torch when I was at your house and was a litte jealous.

      Delete
    2. I tried it last night with both gin and with whiskey. Since I don't love super sweet drinks, I think I personally couldn't use enough sweetener for the lilac to cut through either or those flavours. Was delicious none-the-less and part of the pleasure of the drink is just knowing it has something in in that you made yourself with love and care.

      Delete
  2. Duncan, our next libation to share?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the syrup would go great as the sweetener is a fresh lemonade. Or just a glass of sparkling water, with the syrup and a slice of lemon. The flavour is pretty delicate and can be overwhelmed by other strong flavours.

      Delete
  3. When I think of Lilacs, my first thought goes to the tree in my childhood memory outside the bedroom window in our backyard at 2427. I think of Arta asking Kelvin to take a knife and go cut some for a vase for our kitchen table. I love the smell of lilacs. They speak to me of home and childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lilacs were one of Wyora Pilling's favourite flowers. I think Cockertons had lilac bushes that Mother loved. Wyora made apple butter out of Aunt Dorothy's crabapples but never made lilac syrup. Doral would be smiling and Wyora would love the syrup.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.