Monday, May 10, 2021

I Fought THE FIRE

 Mother's Day Post - I Fought THE FIRE

For Mother's Day I celebrate my mother's strength.  

My vision of Arta out fighting the fire.


A few years ago, there was a forest fire in the woods surrounding Arta's Secwepemc territory home (Shuswap Lake).  Arta was talking about it yesterday morning as we started our Mother's Day celebration.  I created this collage based on some of the things she told me.  Thank you Duncan Carter-Johnson for your added touches.
Pilling firefighters the morning after the big fire.  I love their soot covered arms, and the curious flag in Moiya's right hand.  Try to find it in the collage above

I don't know many people who in their 70's would go out into the woods to fight a fire.   Her courage and determination, along with the other family members who helped, likely saved all their homes.  You know who you are Glen, Rebecca, Moiya, David, Kelvin, Conner and friend.

Here is my vision of the lousy t-shirt that the rest of us got from their collective efforts.

It is impossible to capture in a single "lousy t-shirt" image the memories and connection that I feel to this place and these people.  




What are your favourite Shuswap Lake memories?  What would you put on your t-shirt that could capture how you feel about this shared space?  I'd love to hear more in the comments below.




4 comments:

  1. My favorite collective memory of that beautiful place is all the family and how they accepted all visitors as family as well. Just a paradise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your art for the week Cathy. I had a good laugh. So awesome. If I were to make a t-shirt for last summer, it would have a lot of slugs on it from the midnight slug gathering expedition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to think about my favorite memory. I decided. It is watching the 4th generation, Marcia, Lurene, Richard, David, Dan and Laynie lay claim to a lot of their own with their families. This is amazing to watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, just a privilege to witness. David and I got to watch Landon ride down the 66 foot road on his bicycle, with his grandfather and sister soon to follow on their bikes.

      Delete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.