Sunday, May 30, 2021

Tell me about Blanche Fisher Scoville

Great grandmother Blanche Fisher Scoville - mother of my grandmother Wyora Scoville Pilling

A quick photo essay of images I found on family search.

Blanche Fisher Scoville 

What I know about Blanche comes from my mother Arta.  I have heard her speak about Blanches lovely voice.   Grandpa Doral Pilling often tried to get Blanche to do a solo at church.  I know she loved sheet music and if I remember correctly kept it on a wooden music stand in her home.  I think it might be the very music stand I now have in my house.  


Here are my mother's memories of her grandmother Blanche Fisher Scoville.


This photo might be the earliest photo I have ever seen of Blanche.  She is the cute baby sitting on her mother's lap.   The photo is of Elizabeth Stewart with her 3 oldest living children, Blanche on her lap with her oldest daughter on the left and her son James Fisher on the right in that fancy dress.  Elizabeth's first child died the year it was born.



Blanche is seated on her mother Elizabeth Stewart's lap.  Her older sister Bertha is on the far left and her brother James is in the cute dress on the right side.



Blanche Fisher on the right with Myrtle Borup.  I wonder if they were still friends into adulthood?


I wonder who took this photo of Myrtle Borup and Blanche Fisher?  Why these two girls together?  Are they friends or relatives?  A mystery unsolved.



The Fisher Sisters.  An image from family search.  Blanche is on the right.  This photo is with two of her sisters - Bertha in the centre and Tearoha on the left.


I always enjoy seeing photos sisters.  Here a photo of the Fisher Sisters.  Blanche was married at the age of 19.  Had her first child at the age of 20 and was widowed at the young age of 45.  I know she lived down the hill from Doral and Wyora Pilling when my mother Arta was young.  She died at the young age of 59, I think from leukemia.  

Does anyone have any more stories they can share about Blanche?



3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this Cathy. My Naomi has two middle names and one of them is Blanche -- because that is Arta's middle name. I can't believe I have never really stopped to think about who Arta got the name from. I'm inspired to find out more now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember my Grandmother Scoville sitting in front of the round mirror in the bedroom and braiding her long hair and then winding it around her hair. I think she was often shooing me out of the room.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.