Sunday, May 9, 2021

Rhiannon's Habitat Experiment

Week 5 of the enclosed eco-system

I can hardly believe it has been 5 weeks since Rhiannon, Naomi and I drove from Lethbridge to the Lake to spend our Easter break. We arrived around midnight and the next day Richard started work on the burn pile for lot 3 and lot 4.

At one point in the day Rhiannon told me they wanted to make a mini-ecosystem in a jar, using water from the stream and moss recovered from the burn pile.  It was dried out but still had life in it. So with help from Aunt Janet who procured a large jar for us, we set to assembling our little world.  Water and mud from the stream, moss from the burn pile and some moss from the stream's edge. Rhiannon was hoping that by using these materials, we would also be gathering all the right micro-organism needed for our habitat to thrive. We left it on Arta's deck to settle and see what might happen.

I ended up going to Victoria for 4.5 weeks and am now heading back to Lethbridge.  A pit stop at the lake for a couple of days of down time was needed. Walking on the deck today, I spotted our jar (pictured above).  I was so excited to see all the condensation and some green.  I had a good idea this meant our experiement was a success.

I opened the lid, and this is what I found.


 

I'm super excited to transport our little piece of the lake back to Lethbridge for Rhiannon. I hope we can find a few pill bugs (also know as wood bugs) to live in it.

3 comments:

  1. That looks so cool. Now where do the scientists go from here. I want to grow some sunflowers out at the lake so I need their expertise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never supported the creation of a mini eco-system before, at least not intentionally. The diverse growth was amazing inside the jar. Was there a way for new air to enter? Why didn't you get mold? Why so green and lush? Could the sprout like one that looks like a bean sprout serve as microgreens in a sandwich? I will go so some research. Don't feel you need to reply to the questions. I just wanted to share how many thoughts this post generated for me, or should I say germinated?

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.