Saturday, May 1, 2021

Arta out of the Hospital...and we have a Sushi Picnic (Mary reports)

We can always find time for a group selfie!

After nearly a month in the Hospital, Arta was finally released to return to Rebecca's house.   

We spent the first two days getting things arranged with all the amazing palliative and hospice care resources that will surround the family on this journey.  

On Friday, I needed to drop my van off at the mechanics to check out some weird sounds.  Arta and Rebecca followed me to give me a ride home.  

Raven chatting with us about our food choices

It was Arta's first outing in over a month that didn't involve the hospital.  A celebration was in order.  

We stopped by Rebecca's favourite sushi place (Fujiya) to get some take out. 

We decided to eat it at the top of Mount Tolmie, which has a special and endangered ecosystem called Garry Oak Meadow.  For more information check out this link: Garry Oak Meadow Preservation Society

Mary rushed down to the picnic table to set up the feast.  

A raven friend was there to see what was on the menu.

From the picnic table Mary could see Arta and Rebecca exiting the car for the short walk to the picnic.


The trees framed the shot!


The picnic table was less than 100 steps from the car.  Almost not worth Arta's insistence on wearing her fitbit.


We set out our feast on the picnic table, nestled under a Garry Oak, with a view across to the water.

The branches shaded us, bobbing in the breeze...

Mary taking picture of Rebecca taking picture....

The view from the picnic table beautiful, and I had the fun of taking of photo of someone else taking a photo.

And this is the picture Rebecca was taking... a closeup!

Food is just so darned tasty!
Let the feast begin. 

An assortment of sushi, burdock salad, gyoza (sort of like dumplings), pickled ginger, and black sesame mochi for dessert.




Were our eyes bigger than our bellies?


Then time to head back to the car, but not before Mary took a few more pictures.


Garry Oak reaching its arms out

Yes, there are camas growing in the grass below


Close up of the Garry Oak leaves...so glossy!

Rebecca also enjoyed taking pictures of Mary taking pictures.  Reflexivity!

If you look out in another direction from the top of Mount Tolmie, you can see the peak of PKOLS.  That will be the location for our next picnic outing.  Stay tuned! 

PKOLS in the distance
 













11 comments:

  1. Where do I start in responding to this glorious picnic post?

    I'm reading a novel by Richard Powers called "The Overstory." This Pulitzer prize piece of writing has me looking at trees in a new way, so I relished the close up of a Gary Oak leaf.

    The images with no people in them let me lean into the beauty of the planet, a feeling of being connected to the universe, that feeling I can best find when alone in nature.

    The photos with loved ones let me lean into appreciation of connections with each other, connections nurtured with food, time on the land, and finding things to celebrate such as a first in-hospital outing in a month's time.

    I'm glad grandmother Raven was spotted and captured in a photo. She must have just woken for she has not yet adorned herself with a head scarf.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful report. I’m not sure whet I want more now... a sushi picnic or an ocean view.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Arta's love of food was always amazing. I remember one time I had won a free lunch at the Mainbrace (the support staff club at U of C) Arta and Darlene (our boss) were my guests. There was something on the menu called "sweet breads" which I had no idea what that was. This is what Arta ordered for lunch. When I asked what it was she said "cow brains". I really did have the urge to throw up but it passed. I realized this was not something I would ever, ever order in a restaurant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is just what I would do. Now I am wondering, did I finish my plate of food? Thanks for the lunch, Brenda. And for choosing good company for us -- our boss!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A wonderful gift, tribute, and inspirational role modelling all at once...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shari! Yes, our mom is so much fun to be with (and always pushing the envelope). Lucky us.

      Delete
  6. This is such a beautiful way to celebrate Arta's journey. With your appreciation to others beings, including the trees and the raven you remind us about that we are all part of a web of life. Warm abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely day, one to remember. Best wishes to all of you.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.