Saturday, May 8, 2021

Memories from and for Arta No. 45 Arta's Eve Birthday

 I watched the Eve 7-11 birthday gifts which Arta received. Now my comments.

1. As soon as the 'Altoids' came up I thought of Doral and the disgusting mints that I tried so often to like but just could not refine my tastebuds to like them. They are Sen-Sen's. I know you must remember these Arta. I found the following online! Doral often had these in his pocket. Altoids fit in the same category as Sen=Sen's. 

SEN-SEN

We are sad to announce that Sen Sen has been discontinued by the manufacturer and our supply is sold out. We are disappointed too.

Sen SenHistory... 

Sen-Sen is the original breath freshener. They are small hard pieces with a licorice flavor. Sen-Sen was developed in the late 1800s by T.B. Dunn and Co., perfume dealers in Rochester, New York. According to Dunn’s history, a plant supervisor by the name of Kerschner developed a formula for an effective and refreshing breath perfume.

2. The Mackintosh Toffee.

Wyora's sisters, Elaine, Leatrice and Estelle lived in the USA. Anytime they came up to visit us in Calgary they would buy Mackintosh Toffee to take back to the States because it held memories of growing up for them.  Mackintosh Toffee has stood the test of time.

3. The Cadbury Chocolate Bar... a no brainer, Arta would choose that anytime, except she would not choose milk chocolate but she would choose the bitter taste of dark chocolate. 

Happy Birthday Arta!!

And just one more thing about Doral. He often bought almond easter egg candies. I loved them. He often bought black licorice which I still buy every now and then. I have a memory of chocolate or something being hidden in one of the drawers of Mother and Dad's dresser. I think they were eaten before I could get to them. Old growing up memories!

I just know your birthday would be better if I were there to celebrate with you Arta, at least it would be better for me. And, I missed the birthday at Moiya's house. Poor me, boo hoo!  I missed all the good birthdays because I was following Greg around the world.

3 comments:

  1. I loved this post. I tried to find sensen but couldn't and now I know why.

    I missed, or wasn't invited to Arta's birthday party at Moiya's house. I suspect it was an adult only party, one of the few of that kind held by the Pillings. Normally children are an important part of parties, or at least that is what I was lead to believe. I loved Moiya's first house. I have a wonderful memory of being invited there for a sleep over when I was a young woman. Moiya shared her favourite recipes with me and let me copy them on cue cards. I thought that was cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just had to look up Mackintosh's Toffee. It was invented in 1890 by John Mackintosh in Halifax, Yorkshire, England. He wanted it to be halfway between English toffee (hard) and American caramels (soft.) Mackintosh was born in 1868 in Dukinfield, Cheshire. His father was Joseph Mackintosh (died 1891); his mother's name was Mary.

    So Mary is named after Mackintosh's Toffee!

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.