Monday, May 24, 2021

#51 - things I learned from Arta - it is never too early in the day or ice cream / you can never make too much apple crisp

I've been craving apple crisp a lot these days.  Anyone who knows me will  know I think about food a lot, so not surpising really. I really love apple crisp.  It reminds me of my childhood.  I can't put my finger on a specific memory... just a general remembrance of the smell, and eating it while it was hot out of the oven, either with a little cream drizzled on it or if you were lucky, a big scoop of ice cream.

Roughly cut apples, can you see the slight sprinkle of cinnamon,
sugar and lemon juice?
 

I made apple crisp this morning and called Arta to let her know.  She said, "I hope you'll be having it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream."  I had not problem complying with that suggestion.

I always make 1.5 times the topping recipe.
 

It also brought back to me a very fond memory of asking for waffles with ice cream for my birthday breakfast.  I know I got to spend more than a few birthday breakfasts sitting in my bed with waffles and ice cream.

Crisp indeed.

But back to apple crisp.  One fall when I was home on maternity leave, we went apple picking as we always do.  So  many apple orchard in the Ottawa and Montreal areas. I think I ate only apple crisp for 3 meals a day for about a week.  I didn't once think that might be an odd thing to do.  I'm pretty sure I never heard Arta say, you can't have seconds (as long as everyone who wanted firsts had had a chance).

Today's breakfast was the best breakfast ever.  And yes, I did have two bowls.




3 comments:

  1. Mmmmmm, such deliciousness and amazing memories! We made apple crisp this weekend in solidarity...with vanilla ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad Tonia! I'm having it for breakfast again today. Since my kids don't really eat it (crazy!!!!) I can usually count on having another bowl the next day. That is, unless I eat the entire pan the first day. Which has happened on more than one occasion in my life.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.