Sunday, May 2, 2021

Ruffles


It's all in the naming.

I have heard people asking about this same product but in different ways. 

Nomenclature matters, -- does she have a baby monitor, does she have pull-ups, is her food blended, and does she have a warm sweater. 

I idly listen and decide I didn't want to wear something named Pull-Ups or even worse, Diapers for Adults, so I take a close look at the product in front of me. I notice the name the “Men’s Pull Ups”. 

 I notice there is an old sewing technique around the legs, at least something that looks what was formerly called rauching. 

But this isn’t made of fabric but of plastic. 

 It must have a name. But I think time has moved on, synthetic products have changed and what is thinking about this space as one of beautify, though I do.

I think back to all of my grade 9 home skills. Some come rushing back to me, even some weightier points of the more advanced dressmaking skills of grades 12 return to me. I decide that the plastic at that point around the leg looks nicely done and the plastic is working in the role of rauching so it should be called just that. Whatever else other people called that product, I decided it am going to call the product, my Ruffles. They come in the following colours: salmon, charcoal gray, heavenly white. There is a lot to be said about where they carry their padding and I am going to watch that over the next few weeks.

I know this is not going to be a naming convention that catches on, but I feel more dignified calling that product my Ruffles, than my diapers, or my Pull-Ups, because more than either of those names they are and have fabulous Ruffles

I tested out the naming convention and Mary and Rebecca just said oh, whatever.

Next I tested it out on my lovely Doctor Mueller. I told her why I was calling this product my Ruffles.

Just a trace of a smile crossed her face.

She is well aware this will not become the universal name for a product that comes iwith new names in the vocabulary of the dying of many with different brains for name brand names. For me the name is just a marker for a fabulous item that makes me feel pretty amazing about myself.

I love my new accessory – the fact of its diversity of colour and stye.

They bring everything the advertising say they will: confidence, control, comfort, safety – now try to get all of that out of a scarf or a bejewelled pin.

I am amazed about the place where I've often run into the name of Ruffles before – all off those comfortable zones have been in the family.

When I ask for my Ruffle, it just seems obvious what I'm talking about and where they're placed and why I am needing them to make.

I got home from the hospital, and Rebecca and Mary had taken a quick step out of the house. I was on my own with Steve as my helper, person who is just watching over me on my first 10 minutes home. suddenly I needed the help or ruffles.

Yes to “Bring me my ruffle”.

Mary says I don’t even have to say please.

Arta

3 comments:

  1. I sink into your words like settling into a pillow-top bed. My shoulders relax as I roll your images around in my mind, as I slowly absorb your Ruffles Post. Hello, Arta the Writer. Good to have you back. Reading your words is a kind of coming home.

    I too have experienced a ruffles period in my life, several to be told. My adult ruffling that is most memorable to me occurred in Gainesville, Florida.

    I was newly-ish wed.

    I had arranged a babysitter for our infant.

    I had planned a date night.

    I had laid out my lingerie, next to a spring shift I thought might reawaken lust in my husband, his energy newly encumbered by the weight of a mortgage, the weight of masculinities expectations.

    We had flirted across the table in that strip mall restaurant, and we left hand-in-hand.

    Bacilluss cereus spores had been given the right conditions to thrive in the rice we had shared.

    We paid the babysitter.

    Checked on our slumbering child.

    Initiated evening ablutions.

    ...

    And the night ended in the E.R. with us wearing his and hers Ruffles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this is hilarious! Totally painful, and still hilarious! been there, done that. Hello Campylobacter!

      Delete
  2. Arta, I love your hair do and I love the way you look in you pink ruffles.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.