Saturday, May 8, 2021

Happy Birthday from Kerri Singh

From Kerri Singh

Happy Birthday Arta,

There is so much to say.  I am so lucky to have a woman like you in my life!  

I really am at a loss for words as so much emotion has surrounded my thoughts of you since finding out about your diagnosis.  You have such strength and grace and perhaps a bit of stubbornness that on certain days I imagine you being that person that lives to 100 ,

I know this is my selfish self speaking.  I’m not sure if you know how much you really mean to me or the example that you have become for me. That example extends through each of your children.  Wow it must me late at night as I Babel on! 

I understand as a mother that at a time like this with a cancer diagnosis it is your child or children that all strength goes to fighting for them or making memories for them.  I have so many fond memories of you and your generosity and humour. I think the first  time that you invited my family to come to Shuswap we had a camper trailer parked down at the beach just past the crossing at the tracks. We would spend the days  at the beach and evenings up at the two original cabins. One night when us kids had come over to where the parents were you asked me if I had ever seen 2 hares/hairs mating?

I had never so you decided to show me. You plucked one hair from my head and I think one from yours( that part is a bit blurry) and had a pan of water.  You placed them into the water and said “watch closely”. So I did....nothing do you said watch closer again  and so I move my face closer to the water and you said can you see them mating?  No watch closer......and then smash. I was covered with water as your hand smacked the water. First was a wave of shock and then I joined in with the rolling laughter. 

The Memories you created have constantly drawn me to your little piece of heaven.  The fresh bread with butter and honey that would be delivered to the beach for lunch or listening to the conversations on the beach about “Dialogue” articles. Wishing my hair will be as white as yours someday. And then the time that I attempted university and you made space for me at your home. It was you that got me hooked on Tetris. What a game. 

So much so that to this day it’s one of my favourites.  In every milestone of my life have you had an impact. From my early years, my teens, young adult life and married life. When you and Uncle Kelvin let us stay at Shuswap for a weeklong honeymoon. What a dream! Plus all the other times we have been lucky enough to share your dream. There is so much more I could say but really I want you to know I love you and your family. 

Thank you for everything you have done for us! 

Happy Birthday even though it is now your Birthday + 42 min. Here are some photos that I cherish of you!

Love Kerri --



  
Veer Singh and Arta Johnson



... Indian Food and Drink at the Cabin ...

Arta and Kerri's "beloved mother-in-law"

... Arta, Ran and Caraway Beef ...

Miranda, Rebecca, Arta, Kerri's "beloved mother-in-law"


... Rebecca, Arta, Kerri's beloved mother-i-law, Kerri ...
Veer, Veer's grandmother, Arta, Rebecca

... Who could forget  your wonderful peonies, Aunt Arta? ....
    

2 comments:

  1. Lovely photos and so many smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kerri, thanks for sharing these words and photos with Arta and the rest of us!!!!

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.