Saturday, June 9, 2018

Egg for Sale

... a product I wasn't expecting to see ...
Rebecca and I had a chore day – a big chore day.


One that had to be organized before we left the house, we had so much to do. I knew there would be a lot of driving … and talking. 


Rebecca has a silver necklace that hasn’t seen the light of day for years.


So I brought along my polishing cloth and a rubbed the surface of the necklace as we drove: to the bank, over to the equestrian store, to Home Depot, to take in a picture to be frame, drugs to purchase at the drug store.
... super large eggs for sale ...


Now Val Napoleon has a name for this. She calls it going on the trap line, but this wasn’t really checking places we usually go.


We were shopping in one-off places, really.

Sign taped to fridge door:  Eggs $5 a doz
Along the highway Rebecca saw a sign that said “Eggs for Sale”. 


“Don’t stop here,” I said.


But I was not the driver.

... liver on the top shelf ...

She wheeled around and we entered a large acreage in the city where people can stable their horses.


 The picket fences were white.


A few horses were in individual corrals. 


Rebecca had disappeared into the barn.


I had to check out the chicken, until they came running toward me and I could see they were turkeys.


They must have thought I was bringing them feed.

a fly filled window sill
perfect truth that this is a horse farm

at first I thought chicken
then I thought turkey
I was not raised on a farm so it was hard to tell.
The eggs were purchased on the honour system. A sign on a door invited people in.


When I got there, Rebecca had taken the empty cartons.


She was filling them with eggs from the fridge.


Giant eggs.



There was a drop box that said Eggs, $5 a dozen.


That was about it.


Serve yourself. The sign on the barn door also offered a bag of chicken livers for sale. I am glad she resisted the urge to buy them.
... the purchase in hand and leaving for home ...


I could tell that we were truly rural when I saw the window ledges, filled with dead flies.


Truly agricultural, that spot.


This morning I was looking at the eggs again.

...driving into the egg farm...

They are so large I am afraid to devil them.


The size would just be wrong.


Arta

1 comment:

  1. I studied the variety of the colours of the eggs in the photo. I thought about the eggs and pears that a client once gave to me from their farm. A memory from another home popped up of a child showing me how she gathers the eggs. I too was not raised on a farm, but I have been lucky to visit quiet a few farms. My earliest farm memories are of watching a cow get milked at Jay Johnson's farm.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.