Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Taking Back the Economy Business Associations Class Style

Arbutus Cove
my first time at being there when it was low tide
Arbutus Cove
I am fascinated by the marks in the sand
left by the tide as it retreats.
Arbutus Cove
from the far side of the cove which opened up to me
at low tide
I saw some of the projects that are delivered to Rebecca, assignments really, or material reflections might be a better word, on the book Taking Back the Economy.

Two women had done blogs – their own choice of format.

One woman went through her clothes and tried to wear them for the months of class and school time, not buying anything more.

Just going through her closet and seeing if she could wear everything there in the closet.

No buying.

 She inventoried her clothes, then circulated them through the months, and then reflected on what this meant in terms of every chapter in the book.

The other blog was a woman who tried to wear the same basic dress every day, changing the look of it with accessories.

The point being, for her, can a person do this? – that is, wear one basic dress, rather than have multiple pieces of wardrobe and still be fashionable.

She had modelled this on a blog writer in New York, but she took up the task on her own.

She, too, was reflecting on taking back the economy in her own way in her blog.

I wish she had opened the blog up for the public. I wish both women would have made their blogs public.

I would have loved to have read along.

At any rate, the idea of circulating what I have, rather than buying anything more took on some importance for me.

Arbutus Cove
The sun as it rises over the cove.
Since I have come to Rebecca’s house for longer than I intended and brought only a few clothes, she was willing to open up all of the accessories she has – scarves and jewellery, and let me see if I could go without buying jewellery for a while.

Not everyone has pieces of silver to wear, no matter how many years they have lived.

But long ago, in Fredericton, Rebecca took a course on how to make silver jewellery.

Arbutus Cove
I am interested in the colour
shape and design of this plant.
I remember her writing to the rest of us to say, it is cheaper to just buy silver jewellery than to try to make it yourself. 

That statement alone opened up the world of buying silver for me.

She brought her pieces to me, with the polishing cloth, and invited me to give these pieces the shine that I wanted before I wore them. 

Anything that was hers, I could wear.

 Some of the pieces I would like to take home, for I have now been wearing them long enough to think they are part of my own accessory family.

Arbutus Cove
I am alone on the beach.
I love 2 thin silver bracelets plus a larger than normal one that has an interesting pin in the clasp to which opens and closes on one side and a hinge on the other side.

 She told me that it took the whole year to make that piece. I get to wear it on my arm every day.

Arbutus Cove
A moment before tackling
 the 4 flights of stairs.
This is so much better than my old way of accessorizing, which was walking around the Winner’s jewellery counter and buying a new piece weekly, or bi-weekly or monthly. 

That would depend on how many times I was out shopping with Moiya and Wyona.

Yes to taking back the economy by sharing jewellery.

Arta

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.