Friday, November 9, 2018

Free Chicken

"My dad got a deer today."
The best thing about the meal at Richard’s house tonight was that the chicken was free.

At least that is what Richard said. He stopped in at Safeway on the way home to pick up a BBQ-ed chicken.

They have a policy. If they don’t have their BBQ-ed chicken ready and hot when you come, then you can have one free.

When the clerk told him that he would have to wait five minutes for the chicken, he called Miranda to say he would be a little late.

She is the one who knew that they have this policy – not that well advertised, but you can read it on the fine print at the store.

"Can I just touch it?"
Ah yes.

The best thing about the day, a free chicken.

Only having to pay the GST. How sweet is that.

Actually this is his favourite time of year.

Hunting season. 

He told me that he would drive me to the airport in the morning, but when I got there for supper he told me that Chris had texted him that hunting would be a go tomorrow, and the thought of driving me to the airport vanished from his mind.

I told him that then I was asking ahead for a ride home January 1st when I come back to Calgary.  He said, "Sorry, we will be at Laynie's Annual Toboggan Party."

Oh well.  That is what taxis are for.


Richard did get a deer last Saturday.

We had the tenderloin for supper  that night which was just delicious.

I had no idea how small the two tenderloins were until I saw them on his counter.

Each not even the size of my hand. Richard was only handing out small slices to everyone from the first one when he cooked it.

Miranda said that part of the beauty of it was the way he seasoned it.


He brought home the hooves for the girls.

The rest of the meat is waiting in my freezer for later in the season when he takes it to a butcher who will make it into jerky.

Tonight, I heard Michael asking how long that would be.

How long until the jerky is ready?

Every bite, every part of the animal, an honour to eat and anticipated by someone.

Arta

1 comment:

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.